Monday, July 6, 2009

SMVU

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Our girls are victims of marketing. Like, to the point that Law and Order ought to produce yet another spin-off about them entitled Law and Order: SMVU (Special Marketing Victims Unit).

I smell an Emmy.

Anyway, we were grocery shopping at Kroger the other day, and I had pancake syrup on my list. I asked the girls if they wanted Hungry Jack because we had bought that the last time. But our oldest grabbed a tall, shapely bottle instead and said, “Let’s get this one this time.”

I said, “Do you think you’ll like it?” As if maple syrup actually could taste different depending on which bottle you selected.

That’s when our five-year-old piped up with this straight-from-TV line: “It’s the thickest of all the leading brands.” No lie…you can’t make this stuff up. I asked her to repeat it because I wasn’t sure I had heard her correctly. But I had.

And then to validate the endorsement, our older daughter said, “Yeah, you can go to the website, findmrsbutterworth.com, for important information and recipes.”

It was like shopping with my very own consumer advocates. So guess which brand we bought? Yep, I must be a victim of marketing myself.

Aunt Jemima, you’re gonna have to up your game.

No comments: