Summer is officially over. The girls started school again on Monday, and I have a strong feeling that this year is going to be a great one.
Our oldest is now in second grade and although she kept saying she didn’t want school to start again, I knew that secretly she couldn’t wait. She loves school and seeing her friends, and thrives in an environment where structure and organization are key. I know – the OCD apple didn’t fall far from that tree! But after registration last Thursday, she was so excited for the first day to arrive. I knew she’d be fine.
However, I was worried about our youngest. She cried nearly every day at Vacation Bible School only a few weeks ago – which was held at our church with the same people she sees each day at school. So I was bracing myself for an emotional meltdown on the first day. I couldn’t have been more surprised.
I took our younger daughter to her new kindergarten classroom Monday morning, and after getting her situated, she turned to me calmly and said, “Okay, you can go now.” She kissed me on the cheek and I was dismissed. No tears…no holding on to my leg…no reservations. What a great moment!! By nature, our youngest is very emotional and tends to be clingy, especially in new scenarios. But she was completely comfortable and excited about being there.
And I think I know one reason.
Two years ago, my husband and I made the decision to hold our little one back and send her to pre-school another year before she started kindergarten. She has a mid-summer birthday and we felt that although she could have probably handled the academic aspects of school without any problems, she could use another year to mature emotionally and socially. So last year, she attended pre-K at her older sister’s school (a different place than she’d gone the year before), and I credit that gift of an extra year for her great start in kindergarten this week.
Last year, she went from being a follower to more of a leader. She came out of her shell and fully participated in all class activities. She made lots of friends and gained a world of confidence. She will always be more emotional than her sister – that’s a personality trait, not necessarily a maturity issue – and it may periodically resurface at times like VBS this summer. However, my husband and I are so grateful that she’s had that extra year to grow up and prepare for life – because you’re not just talking about being ready for kindergarten; the maturity factor can also show up on the back end, when the child is really not ready for college and the responsibility that entails.
This morning, we were at school at 7:30 a.m. – the minute the gym doors open – because the girls couldn’t wait to get to school. And for those of you who know me personally, you can attest that I am NEVER the first one anywhere!
My mother always told me that the elementary school years were God’s reward to parents for surviving the difficult first few years of kids’ lives – and a reprieve before the ensuing drama of adolescence and teenagers.
Mom, if the first four days of the school year are any indication, you are exactly right!
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Love it sis. As another "held back a year" child, I think the littlest llama is following in good company. As an added bonus, I had my driver's license before all friends in 10th grade! Hang in there little llama! The perks will keep on coming :)
Post a Comment