It never fails. Every time I post an entry about how wonderful our angelic daughters are, they become completely annoying within a matter of minutes – sometimes before I even click the “publish post” button.
The other day, we ran errands right after I wrote “Trophy Daughters.” I was still basking in the glow from the honor of being their mother when they started bugging each other on the way home, as siblings often do. By the time we pulled in the garage, I was tired of them and their whiny, obnoxious behavior. I came in the house and was followed by our youngest. With her older and, at this point, whinier sister still in the car, she looked up at me and said matter-of-factly:
“This would all be easier if you only had one kid.”
I’m not sure the child has ever spoken such truth – a sitcom-worthy one-liner packed with humor and grown-up wisdom. I’m also pretty sure she was unaware that if we HAD only given birth to one child, she wouldn’t even be here. But that’s another post for another time.
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. I know parents of only children have plenty of issues to deal with – raising kids is hard any way you slice it – but if the girls didn’t have a sibling to fight with, they’d get in trouble a lot less. And I wouldn’t have to yell like Joan Crawford discovering the wire hangers in Mommie Dearest.
Just kidding. Sort of.
Anyway, I know how blessed we are to have two children, and I can’t imagine it any other way. I’m just saying that it’s not easy – but then again, what of great value in life IS?
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment