Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Trophy Daughters

I love it when I overhear our two daughters playing together, and they don’t realize I’m listening. Especially when they’re role playing – the way these llama drama queens portray characters created in their heads is far better than any movie script!

Yesterday was a prime example. Inspired, I’m sure, by a recent Hannah Montana plot, I heard our oldest make the following speech:

“Thank you so much for this award! I will keep it forever and even when I die, I will only have this award and my soul with me in Heaven.”

Now that’s an impressive honor – one that can make the transition into eternity!

Then our youngest got up on “the stage” and reiterated what a fantastic accomplishment this was for her superstar sister – even going so far as to say that “when you have a trophy, you have God in your heart.” I peeked around the corner and saw the award serving as the prop was actually an old soccer trophy.


After this announcement, both girls burst into song in a style that can only be described as Camp Rock (the latest Disney musical) meets Vacation Bible School – praise-type songs with a Jonas Brothers-esque rocker edge to them. Guess this was supposed to be the live performance on the awards show. Then the girls loudly exclaimed, “Thank you very much. We love you all. Goodnight, everybody!”

I always knew awards were a big deal to the girls…but had no idea that they equated them with spiritual treasures! As they get older, maybe we can teach them that “jewels in their crown” in Heaven might mean something besides participating in a soccer league or being honored for their singing abilities.

There’s a running joke in our house that I am my husband’s “young trophy wife” because he’s five years older. The other night, I mentioned this term and our oldest girl wanted to know what that meant. Although it can have negative connotations, I took the high road and explained that it meant “a wife her husband can be proud of” – to which our little llama said, “Well then you ARE a trophy wife, Mama!”

So now I’m officially coining the phrase trophy daughters – not just because our girls love awards, but because I am so proud of them, and it’s an honor to be their mother.

No comments: