As I was checking e-mail on our computer this afternoon, our younger daughter was “playing office” at her Dad’s desk behind me. She had been working on something a long time, and when she finished, she proudly brought it over to present to me.
Expecting to see her usual written document – which consists of her name plus the few other words she knows how to spell – I was unprepared for what lay before me. Here’s what it said in her pre-school handwriting:
“To hell with $4 gas. Drive this! (It’s electric.)”
She ended the note with “Love” and her name.
Turns out she was copying the headline from the front of her Dad’s Fortune magazine (July 21 edition in case I’ve piqued anyone’s interest). Thank goodness. I was worried that I had a child prodigy with Tourette Syndrome on my hands.
I was also thankful that I really read it – she produces HUGE amounts of handwritten pieces of paper each day, and most of them I never see. This particular one she was extra proud of and had planned to put in an envelope and mail to her 22-year-old cousin, who lived with us during her summer internship.
I can only imagine our cousin’s reaction if she had received that in the mail! The soaring price of gas is a serious issue, but seldom something that gets a five-year-old fired up. On the other hand, perhaps this country would be better off if social activism and economic awareness were instilled at an earlier age.
Minus the foul language, of course.
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh my stars. This is hilarious! I too am given large amounts of paperwork to review each day (from our children). Most of it contains strange arrangements of letters and words coupled with stick people dying from eating poisonouos apples. ?? We have issues, I know, that or active imaginations.
Post a Comment