Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Baby Bargaining

When llama drama had reached a fever pitch one day, I was driving our youngest daughter somewhere by herself and told her that she had to get along with her sister. I went on to say that when I was little, I don’t ever remember fighting with my younger brother the way she does with her older sister. She thought about this for a minute and then replied, “I want a little brother.” As if THAT were the problem – the gender of her sibling.

If my husband and I were younger and less tired, we might consider having another child. But when people see our two girls and ask if we’re going to try for a boy, I smile politely and explain that God has a sense of humor and I would probably end up with triplet girls – and officially have to be taken away to an asylum.

But my youngest daughter had it all figured out – the answer to all of our problems. A little brother. She actually LOVES babies and offered to help feed, bathe and dress the little guy. Incidentally, this is the same case I made 27 years ago when I was lobbying for a puppy. That is, except for the dressing part. Cairn terriers just look silly in clothes.

I must have told my little llama that I asked the same things when I was a young girl and ended up getting a dog…because a few days later she asked if we could get a puppy. Apparently I had sufficiently squashed the dream of adding a baby brother to our family and a canine was the next best thing.

But before I could answer, my oldest llama spoke up and said, “We already have a pet. We have mice in the garage.”

True story. Honest. You can’t make this stuff up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No... you can't make that stuff up, but you sure do tell it well. Thanks for doing this blog... I needed a fresh source of entertainment.

P31dionne said...

I will have to pull out the humor card the next time the girls ask for a baby brother. They think it'll be faster this time since I already grew part of one once. (Seriously, my oldest llama said that last week.) To top that, my youngest thinks I have a baby in my tummy already and just don't know it because my tummy "looks" like it has a baby in it. Thanks, girls, nothing like honesty to boost my self-esteem!