Ever notice how animal-related phrases are often used in our society to depict very harsh conditions? Being the “black sheep of the family” is hardly a good spot. No one enjoys the weather when it’s “raining cats and dogs” or their life when they need to “get the monkey off their back.” And here’s my personal favorite, courtesy of Norm on the classic sitcom, “Cheers” – “It’s a dog eat dog world, and I’m wearing Milkbone underwear.”
Well at our house, the animal-related phrase that gets tossed around most often is LLAMA DRAMA. Hence, the name of this blog. It comes from a charming book called Llama Llama Red Pajama my young daughters and I found in the local library a year or so ago. It’s quickly become my favorite children’s book ever, and I can quote entire passages from memory – like this one:
Well at our house, the animal-related phrase that gets tossed around most often is LLAMA DRAMA. Hence, the name of this blog. It comes from a charming book called Llama Llama Red Pajama my young daughters and I found in the local library a year or so ago. It’s quickly become my favorite children’s book ever, and I can quote entire passages from memory – like this one:
“Baby Llama,
what a tizzy!
Sometimes Mama’s
very busy.
Please stop all this
llama drama
and be patient
for your mama.”
The term llama drama has come to represent all the ups and downs…twists and turns…and emotional mood swings of my two young girls, who can give Oscar-worthy performances in such little-known categories as Best Actress in a Toddler Crisis or Best Supporting Actress in a Sibling’s Meltdown.
As the Mama Llama of this small herd, I find most of my drama-filled days challenging, exhausting and emotionally draining lately – but also prime material for a blog! The great Erma Bombeck said as she thought about motherhood, she had a few options: “a) take myself seriously and end up drinking gin just after the school bus left; b) take the children seriously and end up drinking gin before the school bus left; or c) admit to the fear and frustration and have a good time with it.”
I’m choosing c) with Erma. Won’t you come along?
5 comments:
Yes, I would love to come along! You bring the drama. I'll bring snacks.
Count me in! I'm so happy you started blogging. After reading this year's Christmas letter from you, I knew you were destined to blog.
This will tide me over til you're ready to write your book! And anyone who's smart enough to know Erma Bombeck was the greatest thing ever will do well, I suspect.
Oh, the wisdom of a "late thirty-something mother" of two young daughters. It will be great writing indeed and I did just tell Justin, "she should be writing a book!" I'm glad the world can now view your tremendous ability to string the English language together to form such hilarious reading. And your parents can be proud that the English degree they paid for is coming in use! :~)
I love blogs and can't wait to read yours! Good luck!
Post a Comment