I’m always amazed – and entertained – by the things kids remember. Sometimes the intended core message actually gets through and sticks, and other times, children will only be able to recall a minor point of the story, for whatever reason.
For example, our daughter came home yesterday from school and was telling me what she had learned. In honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the teacher had no doubt told the kids about his rich legacy, dream for world peace and important work in the civil rights arena. But when I asked her about Dr. King, this is what our little llama remembered:
“He liked sports.”
I racked my brain, trying desperately to come up with an image of MLK Jr. on a basketball court…or baseball diamond…or even in a football stadium ATTENDING a game – and came up short. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a sports-related picture of him.
I understand that fully comprehending the civil rights movement and complexities of race relations would be a bit over kindergarten heads, but there was no mention of his being a minister? Motivational speaker? Person who just wanted everyone to share and get along, like they teach you to do in kindergarten???
Then later as I was cleaning out her backpack, I saw a little booklet our daughter had made at school about Martin Luther King Jr. There were statements in there like “He became a minister” and “He had a dream for peace” – but on page three, it clearly said, “He liked sports.”
I knew it all along. She HAD been listening.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment