Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Profit and Loss

There are few things that cause such positive llama drama in our house as losing a baby tooth. Not so much because it’s a rite of passage or a symbol of growing up, but because it means that money is on its way!

Our girls don’t get allowances yet. The money they receive from grandparents for Christmas and birthdays generally ends up in a savings account for college or goes for practical, functional things determined by parents. And child labor laws prohibit them from finding gainful employment at this point. So…the only way the kids can really earn money is by losing teeth.

Our daughter has turned the shedding of baby teeth into an entrepreneurial venture. It’s a side job without all that pesky work and responsibility. All she’s really got to do is wiggle those loose teeth (an exercise called “Tooth Time” according to her friend and financial advisor, Liz) and wait for gold to strike.

So you can imagine the excitement in our house this morning when our eldest llama’s tooth fell out during breakfast. Her face lit up like she’d won the lottery and I swear I saw cartoon-like dollar signs in the pupils of her eyes. Cha-Ching! As we discussed the impending cash windfall, she noted wisely:

“The Tooth Fairy is rich just like God.”

Youthful, child-like faith is a beautiful thing to behold. It’s also beautiful that the “wealthy” Tooth Fairy can still get away with leaving a dollar in change…

1 comment:

jmarling said...

I'm a little slow to join the drama, but I am hooked already! Who needs "The Real Wives of Orange County" (which, by the way, I have never watched beyond the comericals as I wait patiently for my "Project Runway" rerun to begin) when there is llama drama to behold? Thanks for sharing and allowing us to relate!