Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Llamas in Girls' Clothing

Since beginning this blog, I’ve been thinking about similarities between llamas and my children (strange, I realize, but it beats vacuuming the house, my other alternative), and discovered some interesting facts on Wikipedia yesterday afternoon.

First of all, llamas are pack animals. More on this later, but my younger daughter, especially, can carry three times her weight in toys from the playroom to the living room, often immediately preceding a dinner party I’m hosting.

In addition, the height of a full-grown llama is between 5.5 and 6 feet – and the pediatrician predicted my older daughter could easily be 6 feet tall in adulthood. My husband and I are already scouting WNBA teams for her.

Female llamas reach puberty at approximately 12 months. My girls weren’t THAT young when they began showing signs of moody behavior, but it wasn’t long after. Stay tuned for my personal theories on how early childhood mirrors adolescent angst at certain stages.

Finally, llamas are very family-oriented and take care of each other. Just when I think I’ve had enough for one day, one of my little llamas will come hug me…or snuggle in my lap…or say “I love you” completely out of the blue – and it makes all the drama worth it.

No comments: