Dear Llama,
I was thrilled beyond belief when I found out I’d been given the role of a lifetime in the spring of 2001. God had cast me as your mother, and I had about nine months to prepare for the part.
I studied the script (lots of books about pregnancy and childbirth), concentrated on the set decoration (designing your nursery), shopped for costumes (maternity clothes for me, adorably tiny outfits for you), and began rehearsing (Lamaze classes with your Daddy).
When we discovered in the fall of 2001 that you were a girl, we chose a name for your character which meant “one who loves peace” – ironic since we finalized the name two days after 9/11 occurred in the midst of very unpeaceful times.
And then, after months of behind-the-scenes production, you made your dramatic entrance on January 18, 2002. You were stunning. Beautiful and perfect and amazing. By the time the curtain fell on opening night, you’d had an enthusiastic audience of visitors, and you got great reviews.
Although I had many moments of stage fright, especially in the beginning, I had never portrayed a role before that felt so right…so natural. Admittedly, I have forgotten my lines numerous times over the past six years and had to improvise, but nothing I’ve ever done has stretched me (and I don’t just mean the stretch marks from birthing you!!) or rewarded me more.
Your incredible emotional range has driven me crazy at times over the years – but the truth is, I am so blessed to be your mother, even with all the llama drama that accompanies that role.
The world is your stage, baby girl. I’m so proud of who you are and can’t wait to see your character continue to develop in the coming acts.
Happy 6th Birthday, little llama, from your biggest fan.
Love,
Mama Llama
Friday, January 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, that is sooo sweet! Being a mom is the best role we could ever be cast for...and hardest by the way.
Post a Comment