Friday, February 1, 2008

Dramatic Irony

One of life’s greatest genetic mysteries is how two little llama thespians could be born to such a calm, logical, drama-free father. Of course, this probably means that my contribution to their DNA is to blame, and normally, I would challenge you on that. However, today is my husband’s birthday so I’ll let it slide.

Back in my bitter days as a 30-year-old single female, I had given up on ever finding a man. I had somehow managed to meet some of the most uninteresting, unappealing people in the tri-state region (and apparently, the feeling was mutual!) and had come to believe that settling down with a husband and kids was an impossible, unattainable dream. Then I agreed to go on one more blind date, against my better judgment. A
nd the rest is history, as they say.

Aside from his good lucks, dry sense of humor and obviously excellent taste in women, the thing that most attracted me to my future husband early on was his straightforward, direct method of dating. I had grown tired of playing the mind games normally associated with meeting new people, so his approach was refreshing and welcomed. If he wanted to call, he did without overthinking the strategy of it all. And if he wanted to say something, he did so without consulting the official Dating Playbook.

We got married a little over seven years ago and I am happy to report that our marriage, like our dating relationship, has been remarkably drama-free. We see things in a very similar way and continuously communicate so that issues don’t get blown out of proportion. I’m a very lucky girl, as are our two daughters. They couldn’t ask for a better father.

So the presence of the Llama Drama Gene in our children is still baffling given the disposition of their Dad, but I’m thankful to have such a great partner to cope with the ever-present roller coaster ride. He is truly the rock of our family – solid, strong, stable and secure. And the fact that he’s still quite handsome and funny and the love of my life doesn’t hurt, either.

In the midst of crazy llama drama-filled days, my husband will often ask in a kidding manner, “Is it all I promised you and more?!?”

And even during those times of frustration and exhaustion, the answer – in all seriousness – is an emphatic “YES!”

Happy birthday, my love. I would not want to travel on this amazing journey with anyone but you.


No comments: