Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Funny Valentines

The girls awoke early this morning because it’s a holiday. Granted, Christmas, Halloween and birthdays are generally bigger deals, but any day that will potentially yield candy, a party and/or gifts is a reason to get out of bed at the crack of dawn. In fact, my husband and I have been known to use white-out on the family calendar just to avoid any unrealistic expectations on special occasions like Columbus Day or Youth Pride Week.

But today is Valentine’s Day, a sanctioned holiday, and both girls will attend classroom parties at school. Our older daughter’s kindergarten class will make ice cream sundaes and distribute valentines in shoeboxes decorated by each child. Our younger daughter will party with cupcakes and chips and juice boxes, and has Dora the Explorer valentines in her backpack to share with her friends and teachers.

The real purpose of today, however, is to tell those in our lives how much we love them. As I thought about how to express my feelings for our little llamas this morning, the song “My Funny Valentine” kept coming to mind. Probably for two reasons: The girls are both HILARIOUS – often in ways they don’t even know – and keep my husband and me laughing and entertained year-round (that is, when we’re not in the throes of major llama drama). And secondly, because I have yet to delete the image of Constantine Maroulis singing this Cupid’s holiday classic a few seasons ago on American Idol and now I actually have an opportunity to use it in a relevant, if not random, way.


But in either case, after looking up the lyrics to the song, a few lines seem to readily apply:

“My funny Valentine
Sweet comic Valentine
You make me smile with my heart”

Isn’t that last line a perfect description for parenthood? Sure, it’s a complicated job with LOTS of emotions involved, but my children have put a smile on my face AND in my heart – that kind of deep inner happiness that only comes from this unique, special parent-child relationship. It’s like nothing else.

And the next time I am tired and wishing the kids would grow up just a little faster, I’m going to remember the way the song ends:

“Stay little Valentine
Stay!
Each day is Valentine’s Day.”

No comments: