Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Mama Llama Needs Deadlines

Working over a decade in the fast-paced environment of an advertising agency trained me well. Too well, I’m afraid. I quit six years ago to become a stay-at-home mom when my first daughter was born, but I still work best under pressure and with a firm deadline.

That’s why I am pretty efficient (and humble, too!) at checking things off my detailed, daily to-do list, as long as the items on that list HAVE to be done that day. In fact, sometimes I have to trick myself and act like company is coming for dinner so I’ll get motivated to clean the house and go to the grocery store. It’s a silly little game and borders on delusional, but hey, whatever works, right?!?

So at the end of the day, you can bet that things like packing the girls’ lunches for school and fixing dinner for my family and keeping a scheduled dental appointment will be checked off the list – but anything extra might not be. That’s why I still haven’t scrapbooked the past few years’ worth of photos…or reorganized the bedroom closets…or irrigated the backyard…or come up with an answer to world hunger.

And sadly, blogging sometimes falls in this latter category. It’s not something that HAS to be done, so even if it’s what I’d rather be doing, I must take care of all the other mandatory items on the list before I can sit down to write. I try not to skip more than one or two days in between posts, but sometimes life gets in the way of fun hobbies!

In closing, I promise to set fake deadlines for myself so my faithful readers (once again, “Hi, Mom and Dad!”) won’t have to wait long for my next blog entry...if you’ll promise to keep checking back here on a regular basis. Deal???

1 comment:

jmarling said...

How crazy! I am certainly glad you were not cuffed and taken to the pokey. I am also pleased to learn that I am not the only one who experiences high anxiety at the drive thru. On more than one occasion (just yesterday...at Sonic, no less) I have experienced "ordering remorse", as my husband has termed it, and immediately wished I had requested something different. Yesterday I went so far as to ask David to push the little red button again. The 12-year-old on the other side of the speaker never answered and the undesired order arrived in record time.