I always knew the day would come when I would have to sit down and talk to our girls about boys. I just thought it would happen when they were much, much older.
After six months or so of flirtatious “four” play, our younger daughter’s boyfriend at pre-school finally made his big move. I do have to give him extra cool points for timing – he asked her to marry him on Valentine’s Day. And then leaned in and planted a kiss on her lips. (I know! Right in the middle of flu season!!)
Now aside from the obvious challenges in this relationship – how could they possibly support themselves on four-year-olds’ salaries?!? – our little llama’s boyfriend is actually very sweet and protective of her. She’s rather shy, and he watches out for her in the classroom, according to her teachers (who, incidentally, were surprised to learn of The Kiss). And she seems to really like him – as a friend.
Our youngest allegedly refused his proposal and told me that she wants to marry her Daddy or her Uncle Mark instead. That’s when we had the talk about that sort of thing being inappropriate, even if we DO live in Arkansas. But it was a sweet thought, and a compliment to both her father and uncle.
Next year, the boyfriend will attend a different school and our daughter will go on to learn there are many more fish in the sea. Just hope she continues with the attitude that she can be friends with the boys but doesn’t have to settle down anytime soon.
Because even if she’s ready for the next step, I’m not.
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment