Friday, March 7, 2008

Let’s Talk Shop

I usually do all the grocery shopping in our household. And after I relay the following story, you’ll know why.

This week, Mama Llama was out of commission for about a day and a half, so my husband was in charge of the girls and their dietary choices. I had been to Kroger earlier in the week to stock up on supplies, but the threat of winter weather sent my family – and the rest of the region – to the grocery store to ensure we had enough food to make it through the impending storm.

While others were loading up their carts with staples like milk, bread, fruit, vegetables and meat, my husband and daughters came home with sacks full of nothing but sugar-based treats. What are we, rock stars?!? Jenny Craig would be mortified.

No wonder the girls like to shop with Daddy! Our little llamas began excitedly pulling items out of the shopping bags to show me when they returned home, and I noticed that most, if not all, were things I had rejected as appropriate choices on previous trips to the grocery store. There were several hundred chocolate items, including Chip Mates Cookie Cereal (“made with real cookies, Mom!”) and Oreo Cakesters (“so rich, so moist, your whole family will love it!”). Have I mentioned that I’m allergic to chocolate?

There was no hamburger meat or chicken breasts or pork chops. No fresh veggies. One apple because our older daughter apparently had a spasm of guilt (most likely thanks to her Catholic schooling) and felt they should bring home at least one healthy item.

So now I’m left with the dubious challenge of creating nutritious meals out of the following ingredients: pumpkin pie, bacon bits, Hostess Donut Bites, cocktail peanuts and Mellow Yellow.

I love a good challenge, but if I were you, I’d wait until NEXT week to drop in for dinner.

No comments: