Saturday, March 1, 2008

Wild Card

When I woke up this morning, I prepared my daily list of things to accomplish – a list I usually follow religiously, as my family and friends can confirm. In addition to the normal, mundane household tasks, I had planned to reorganize the girls’ playroom, plan the meals for the next week, go to the grocery store and attend mass at 4:30.

It’s now after 7:00 p.m. and not one thing is crossed off my list. And it feels pretty good.

You see, I decided to take a walk on the wild side today – my husband and I took the girls to the local zoo for the afternoon. We saw all kinds of wonderful, untamed animals, but the wildest part of my day was the fact that I followed no list and just enjoyed my family and the zoo exhibits and the beautiful spring-like weather.

When I came home, the beds were still unmade...the dishes were piled up in the kitchen sink…toys were strewn about the house…and I hadn’t grocery shopped or gone to church or completed a much-needed home improvement project. But the truth is, I can take care of all of these things tomorrow.

When the girls are grown and look back on their childhoods, I want them to remember how loved they were and how we enjoyed spending family time together. Not the cleanliness of the house or my anal-retentive efficiency.

I played the wild card today. And I think we all won.

1 comment:

jmarling said...

Good for you! It's not every day that we abandon our "should dos". I am very impressed and hope to do the same some day...when I have time. ;-)