Sunday, March 30, 2008

Paper Dolls

With an abundance of technological innovations and increased reliance on computers, our society is quickly becoming paperless. However, our girls did not receive the memo (which would, to my point, have been sent electronically in this day and age, I suppose).

From the time they were very young, our daughters have possibly asked for paper every day of their lives. They use it for coloring, practicing their letters, drawing pictures, making greeting cards, writing Christmas and birthday gift requests, listing all of their friends’ names and so on.

They go through entire reams of paper and countless spiral notebooks purchased specifically for their demanding paper needs in record time. It’s an exhausting process for us as parents because if we’re not diligent in monitoring the paper supply, the girls begin writing and drawing on other things – like walls and clothing and toys. In fact, as I was typing this very post, our younger daughter reported that her older sister just drew on the play camera. Not on my watch!!!

While other parents are stenciling beautiful and inspiring messages like “The princess sleeps here” or “God bless this precious lamb” on their children’s bedroom walls, I’m seriously considering the addition of Dunder Mifflin’s typically miss-the-mark tagline from The Office: “Unlimited paper in a paperless world.”

Hey, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

Actually, the funniest part of our ongoing llama drama in this department is when my husband gets frustrated and exclaims, “What do you people think – paper grows on trees?!?”


To which I sheepishly point out that yes, it does.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a set of paper lovers as well. Drawing and writing stories is a bit of an obsession around here. I am torn between my desire to foster their creativity and the negative impact our paper use may be having on the earth. The thing that makes me feel righteous is having them use each sheet until it is completely covered on both sides, and then I put it in the recycling bin. (You can only save so many of these little masterpieces.)