When I decided to begin exercising again, I envisioned several things that would happen to my body. My abs would become rock hard…my muscles would appear toned and lean…my backside would firm up and stop its gravitational pull toward my knees. I had big dreams.
What I did not foresee was what I ended up with instead: a staph infection. THIS would be why I don’t exercise more.
Last week, I attended a yoga class in the evening and by 11:00 p.m. that night, my eye was nearly swollen shut. Turns out an open sore right beneath my eyebrow interacted somehow with some evil germs and got infected. And I’d be willing to bet my antibiotic that those germs came from the gym-provided yoga mat I placed my forehead on that evening during a stretch.
Don’t know how it is elsewhere, but at our YMCA, everyone just grabs a mat as they come in and then returns it at the end of the yoga class. The mats are probably never cleaned and chances of getting the same one each time (so at least you’d only be exposed to your own sweat) are slim to none. Hence, the staph.
My doctor says we can’t be 100% sure that’s how my eye got infected, but in my gut (which, incidentally, is NOT rock hard yet) I know the truth. And the truth – along with a brand-new, hygienically approved, personal yoga mat – shall set you free.
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment