Sunday, April 13, 2008

Social Security

As we prepared for yet another children’s birthday party this weekend, my husband sarcastically noted, “You insisted that they make friends.” He was, of course, referring to our two daughters, who in recent weeks have managed to score invitations to every birthday party within a 60-mile radius.

Now don’t get me wrong. I’m elated that the girls’ social lives have far surpassed my own at this point because I did want them to form friendships with the kids in their classes at school. And I’m well aware that birthday parties are THE social events of the season when you’re in pre-school or kindergarten and not to be missed.

However, these party-filled weekends are wearing me out. Last Saturday, we had three birthday celebrations and a soccer game (which, trust me, is more social than athletically competitive at this age) in one day. Amazingly, none of them overlapped, so we had to…er, I mean GOT to…attend each one. The first party began at 8:45 a.m. and we were there on time, which I felt unequivocally proved my love for my daughter since it would normally take the promise of all-you-can-eat pancakes or an omelet station to lure me from bed at that hour.

Over the past several weekends, our girls have gotten to participate in a number of fun activities while party hopping like little Paris Hiltons (minus the alcohol and threat of jail time) – roller skating, eating PB&J finger sandwiches at a child-sized tea party, jumping in an enormous inflatable castle and more.


And I am truly happy that they’ve made so many friends. I just wish that those friends had been born a few more weeks apart.

No comments: