Thursday, April 17, 2008

Fit For Trial

Apparently, my recently acquired membership at the YMCA has inspired our children to practice a healthier lifestyle. At first, I thought they were just interested because of the kids’ playroom located on the first level of the gym, but I think it might go deeper than that.

The first sign was when our older daughter announced at dinner the other night that she would be giving up all sweets (that is, after THAT night, when she requested ice cream for dessert). This is the child who would eat her left shoe if you drizzled chocolate over it, so her pledge caught us all off guard.

Then the next day, our youngest asked if she could put in my old Tae-Bo tape. I agreed, thinking she would watch for a few minutes and move on to something else. But to my amazement, she did everything Billy Blanks challenged her to and completed the 30-minute workout – TWICE. She only stopped to find something to wear that resembled the girls in the video. (The midriff-baring ensemble she came up with made her look a little like Joy from My Name Is Earl, but I let it slide this time.) When her older sister returned from school, she also wanted to do Tae-Bo and asked me about the benefits of running to keep in shape.

Then last night at dinner, I asked the girls what they wanted as a side item and they chose…are you sitting down?!?…carrot sticks. Granted, they also requested ranch dressing for dipping, but in a house that frequently counts ketchup as a vegetable, I’m going to claim this as a victory.

Now I’m not saying that I’m some sort of fitness role model. Far from it. I took a decade-long hiatus from exercise and feel quite certain that attending only three yoga classes in a row to date does NOT make me an expert. And while I’ve always tried to provide our daughters with healthy, balanced meals, I haven’t always practiced what I preach in terms of my own eating habits.

I’m just saying that children DO listen to what you’re telling them…even when you’re not verbalizing anything.

So we’ll give this new fitness kick a trial run and see where it takes us. I owe that much to my daughters.

No comments: