Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Riddle Wrapped In An Enigma

A priest, a rooster and a mechanical bull walk into a gymnasium. Sounds like the start of a bad joke, doesn’t it?!? But these were just a few of the key players at today’s church carnival.

First, about Father West. Throughout most of the event, he walked around doing priestly things, like blessing babies and participating in the cake walk (angel food is his favorite, of course). But toward the end of the day, the organizers asked him to draw the raffle winners’ names from a bowl and to ensure fairness (as if being an ordained priest were not enough), they covered his eyes with a mask of hot pink, leopard-printed satin. I’m glad they did because prior to that, I had been unaware that Victoria’s Secret was a Sonfest corporate sponsor…

And don’t get me started on the rooster. Mainly because I never really figured out what the deal was on this booth. I tried to stay far, far away because winning and being forced to bring home a rooster just might put me over the edge. I have my hands full with two llamas.

Then there was the mechanical bull. A new attraction at the annual carnival this year, it was a huge hit with adults and children alike. Our older daughter enjoyed watching others get thrown from the bull but was too cautious to actually get on it herself. Our youngest, however, thought it would be great fun and did a pretty good job of holding on for a very short time. The operator went easy on our Urban Cowgirl, but this did not stop her from bragging about her bravery to her more cowardly sister. God love her, there really are very few opportunities for her to do something BEFORE her older sibling does it.

And that’s no joke.

No comments: