Bill Cosby used to do a comedy bit about “The Informer,” one of his daughters who loved to tattle on her siblings. Both of our girls actually enjoy reporting any and all actions that might get their sister in trouble, but our youngest is the worst offender – and now she’s expanding her territory.
It started out with her need to bring general injustice to my attention. Serious travesties like the time our older daughter received a bigger scoop of ice cream than she did. Then it moved on to assigning specific blame by informing me that her sister had pulled her hair, said something mean to her, taken the last cookie, you name it. (And by “informing” I mean screaming at the top of her lungs.) Then our youngest broadened her target audience and began snitching outside the family on guests who had come over to play.
But tonight, she took her tattling to the next level. Literally.
A few minutes after she was tucked into bed by my husband, she came out to the living room to tell me that she had been talking to God. Excited that she had taken the initiative to pray on her own, I asked, “What did you say to Him?”
She replied, “I told God that Davey has been saying bad words at school. Poo poo, bottom…”
I interrupted in order to get her back on track, “Well sweetie, that’s really between God and Davey. Now isn’t there something that YOU’VE done that you want to tell God about?”
“No, because I love God and everyone I know in the world,” St. Llama responded.
Apparently, when The Informers – who can only see wrongdoing in others – don’t get the kind of action they desire from reporting improper behavior to local authorities like parents and teachers, they go straight to the top. Heaven help us.
Monday, April 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment