You have to get up pretty early in the morning to stay a step ahead of our kindergartener. Today, as I was driving her to school, I was telling her that I had signed her permission slip to attend the field trip to the zoo in a few weeks. She’s very excited about this event – but her younger sister, who was in the car with us, was sad she wouldn’t be able to go, too.
Ever the diplomat, I assured our littlest llama that we’d go back to the zoo as a family in the near future since we got a late start on our last visit and weren’t able to see all of the exhibits before closing time. The girls and I talked about what we DID see on that trip and then I brought up a few of the animals we missed.
Without even thinking about what I was saying, I began, “You know, we didn’t get to see the lions. Or tigers. Or bears.”
The words were barely out of my mouth before our six-year-old piped up from the back seat and dryly replied, “Oh, my!”
I’d like to think our elder daughter is a movie trivia expert, but since she’s never even seen the full-length production of The Wizard of Oz (due to deep-rooted fears associated with melting witches and flying monkeys), I’m sure she heard the reference on a TV show like SpongeBob SquarePants or Hannah Montana. Still, impressive that she could make the connection and fill in the blanks so quickly at such a young age.
Somewhere, over the rainbow, the Scarecrow is smiling.
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment